September 13, 2013

Printer Friendly Version

Boxscore       PDF

MARTIN, Tenn. – The University of Tennessee at Martin soccer team played a compelling match but ultimately fell in heartbreaking fashion with a 1-0 defeat off a Georgia State goal in the 84th minute at Skyhawk Field.

The Skyhawks (1-5-1) maintained the bulk of the possession, being the aggressor for most of the game. Despite outshooting their opponent 27-15, the Skyhawks could not find the back of the net on their nine shots on goal. UT Martin’s 27 shots set a season-high while being the highest total since Sept. 30, 2012 against Murray State when the Skyhawks tallied 32 attempts.

Hannah McGowen led UT Martin with seven shots on the evening while Alyssa Curtis chipped in five tries in the match. McGowen was joined by Aoife Lennon and Dominica Conc by registering two shots on goal each. Curtis, Maksimowicz and Dunn each tallied one shot on goal.

In goal, Mariah Klenke suffered the tough defeat despite registering dazzling saves throughout the duration of the match. Klenke tallied six saves in goal, including several 1-on-1 matchups in the box.

“We outplayed our opponent for the entire 90 minutes,” said UT Martin head soccer coach Phil McNamara. “We’re pleased that we’re creating more chances while our pressure and aggression is paying off but we have to convert on our chances. We were very unfortunate tonight, but we have to keep fighting and believing that the results will come.”

“All we can do is keep working and go get what is deserving,” continued McNamara. “We had the better quality and the higher opportunities tonight but at some point we have to learn how to win.”

Klenke was quickly put to test in the contest, tallying her first save of the contest less than two minutes into the match. Georgia State’s Amanda Bruemmer rifled a shot on goal at the 1:52 mark that Klenke quickly gathered.

UT Martin would quickly respond by tallying four consecutive shots by Michelle Calmeyn, Conc and Curtis over the course of the next three minutes. Calmeyn placed shots in the fifth and sixth minutes before a header by Curtis just missed the back of the net at the 6:37 mark.

The Skyhawks would outshoot the visiting Panthers 11-8 in the first period as McGowen fired a last ditch effort into the box as the time expired.

UT Martin came out firing in the second period, registering four consecutive shots, including three consecutive shots on goal over the course of three minutes. The Skyhawks just missed finding the back of the net as Conc, Maksimowicz and Lennon each forced huge saves by the Georgia State goalkeeper Brie Haynes.

The Skyhawks had yet another key opportunity in the 81st minute as McGowen set up for a free kick from just outside the box. McGowen rifled a shot towards goal, deflecting of the left post before Ashlie Watson directed a header into the box off of the ricochet. Watson’s header just missed before Curtis’s ensuing kick missed just right.

Despite being outshot, Georgia State found the magic touch of the evening in the 84th minute. Jordan Young took an assist from Nikki Fedele and Eryka Hawkins from 15 yards, just outside the reach of Klenke for the eventual game-winner.

The Skyhawks would seek the equalizer in the final five minutes of the contest, tallying four shots, but could not capitalize on their final opportunities as they fell 1-0.

UT Martin will look to quickly refocus as they turn their focus to Indiana State on Sunday, Sept. 15. Sunday’s match will begin yet another four-game road swing, the Skyhawks second of the season, with a schedule start slated for noon CST.

Event Calendar

« September 2014 »
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        


Quick Facts
Coaching Staff
Statistics  PDF 
Archived Stats/Guides
Live Stats
Recruit Questionnaire 
Summer Camps 
Visiting Team Guide